I am a defence barrister having been called to the bar in 1985, giving me more than 30 years of experience in expert criminal and regulatory defence. I have extensive experience in both domestic and international work. I worked as a stagiaire in DGIV (Competition) in the European Commission in Brussels giving me excellent insight into both regulatory offences and fraud. Furthermore, I studied European Law at the College of Europe (Bruges) and I am currently a member of the Bar European Group, and the European Lawyers Bar Association.
I often defend professionals for whom conviction would cause reputational damage, (including, police officers; journalists; professors; diplomats; teachers; doctors; foster carers).
My Strategic Approach
If you have been accused of criminal, regulatory or disciplinary offences, you need a team of skilled lawyers whom you can trust to work diligently and assiduously on your behalf. I believe I have a unique and strategic approach to casework, taking on fewer clients specifically so that I can offer a service which provides added value. My objective is to ensure that clients benefit from a coherent strategy from the outset. Frontloading my input on a case enables me to provide maximum value to my clients and thereby enhance the possibility of achieving successful outcomes. I believe in being hands-on.
My clients are at the centre of the process of trial preparation. I have been recognised for my expertise in defence work. I only defend.
- I am a member of one of the largest and most successful chambers in the country.
- I have access to offices in central London, Birmingham, Leicester and Bristol, and I am always willing to travel to meet with clients.
- My experience and expertise is supported by an infrastructure comprising of efficient and reliable clerks and support staff.
- We have a fully staffed in house library and online resources.
My instructing solicitors
I have had the pleasure of working with very experienced, highly motivated, tenacious, skilled solicitors dedicated to achieving successful outcomes for their clients.
Having access to this infrastructure and network of experts in in their field means that we have the skills and the technical tools to do the job.
In the sex cases in which I am instructed I invariably work with Stuart Sutton from Tuckers Solicitors. Stuart has a national practice. He has many years of experience in these types of cases and he has a profound knowledge and understanding of the myriad of issues that arise. I can say without fear of contradiction that his work ethic, professionalism, dynamism, good humour and client care are second to none.
Mandip Kumar of Precedence Law regularly instructs me in police cases, (criminal and disciplinary) and much of the substantial fraud; money laundering and regulatory work I undertake. He is the senior partner in Precedence Law. He has a fearsome reputation. He is tenacious; innovative and highly motivated. He is a man of integrity who works tirelessly in the best interests of his clients. He is often instructed in the most difficult and demanding cases because he never shirks a challenge. Straight talking. He is a man on a mission.
I can advise on a wide range of practice areas including:
- Sexual Offences
- Historic Sexual Abuse Defence
- Market Abuse and Market Manipulation
- Money Laundering
- Asset Recovery and Confiscation Proceedings
- Professional Tribunals
- Road Traffic Law
- Section 28 Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act 1999
My cases are high profile and are widely reported in the press, online and on television.
Examples of recent cases
- B: (2017) (police inspector) allegedly stole and possessed with intent to supply 750k of drugs from police property store and perverted course of justice.
- S: (2015) (police inspector), jointly charged with his wife and two others with offences of theft / fraud- (approximately £1 million Ponzi type scheme) and associated regulatory offences, (complainants ACPO ranked police officers).
- AH: (2016) (Asian constable conspiring to pervert course of justice)- telephoned 999 and threatened that a police officer would be kidnapped and beheaded at the end of shift thereby causing an innocent person to be arrested and detained, at a time of heightened terrorist threat.
- H: (2014) a police constable charged with GBH and cruelty on a child of his partner.
- S: (2015) a Gambian diplomat accused of conspiring with others to evade excise duty of many millions of pounds by abusing their diplomatic quotas for tobacco and alcohol. Issues around waiver of diplomatic immunity.
- R: (2015) a company director jointly charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life. Cut throat defence as he claimed to be acting under duress.
- G: (2014) (leading junior). A practising Sikh ran 10 or 11 company 'fronts' and masterminded a conspiracy to launder £32 million in cash through local branches of a High street bank. Issues around systemic failures in banking system and bad character of defendant.
- K: (2016) a retired university professor and author, accused of historic rapes over many years of both his younger sisters beginning when he was a teenager and his sisters were young children through to adulthood. Complex legal and disclosure issues and substantial submissions on admissibility.
- D: (2016) foster carer accused of orally raping an 8 year old child and sexually abusing her and two other children in his care. Vulnerable witnesses. Complex and difficult cross-examination. Issues of contamination and collusion.
- GH: (2016) a foster carer accused of incitement to engage a young child in his care in sexual activity, issues concerning vulnerability of the defendant and the young children in his care.Vetting of cross-examination questions by Judge.
- RE: (2016) private tutor and mentor accused of historic sexual abuse of children under his supervision. Elicited disclosure which torpedoed evidence of one complainant and undermined evidence of the others.
- C: (2016) historic sex abuse of niece. Family divided by allegations
Criminal Barrister London
For further information and assistance please contact me today on 020 8108 7186.